Referral Services: Getting the Best Level of Care Possible for your Animal Companion
Use of Specialists
At North Shore Veterinary Hospital, our goal is to offer the best level of care possible for your animal companion. In most cases, this can be accomplished with our doctors in our hospital.
However, in some cases, referral to a veterinary specialist or other veterinary professional may be the best option. We utilize a wide variety of veterinary professionals to enhance to ensure the best care for your pet.
For your convenience, there are a number of veterinary professionals that either live in Duluth or travel to Duluth to provide referral services. These include:
- Emergency Services & Overnight/Weekend Care—For after-hours emergency as well as for hospitalization of critical patients during hours when we are not open, we utilize the services of Affiliated Emergency Veterinary Services, located at 2314 W. Michigan St in Duluth. They can be reached directly at 218-302-8000.
- Internal Medicine—Dr. Roger Pitts, Diplomate ACVIM – Dr. Pitts lives in Duluth and provides care to patients within our hospital, involving any aspect of internal medicine or medical oncology.
- Tele-Radiology—We frequently utilize the services of Vet-Rad, which allows us to send digital copies of x-rays to them for interpretation. We receive the radiologist’s x-ray evaluation with an hour or two of sending the image, so we are able to provide the services of board-certified veterinary radiologists from within our hospital with minimal delay.
- Therapeutic Massage—We are proud to offer the services of Marcia Swanson, CVT/CVMRT, who provides therapeutic or relaxation massage, electrical stimulation, therapeutic ultrasound and cold light therapy as an adjunct to other therapies. Marcia will provide services from within our hospital, or at your home.
- Ultrasound—Dr. Ralph Weichselbaum owns Veterinary Imaging Specialists, a mobile ultrasound service based in the Twin Cities. “Dr. Ralph” travels to Duluth and provides ultrasound services within our hospital on a bi-weekly basis.
- Surgery—We can utilize the services of traveling board-certified veterinary surgeons from Minnesota Mobile Veterinary Surgery service, who will travel to Duluth and perform surgeries in our hospital, on an as-needed basis.
- Dermatology—Board-certified dermatologists from McKeever Dermatology, based in the Twin Cities, travel to Duluth on a regular basis. They see patients at Airport Animal Hospital by appointment only.
- Cardiology—Dr. Janet Olson, a board-certified veterinary radiologist owner of Veterinary Cardiology Specialists is based in the Twin Cities and is available for referral, but is also able to travel to Duluth in certain cases.
Referral to Outside Specialists
For certain types of medical/surgical problems, referral outside of Duluth may be in the best interest of your pet’s health. In these cases, we utilize a wide variety of veterinary specialists, with the most common being:
- Blue Pearl Veterinary Specialists—With offices in both Blaine and Eden Prairie, Blue Pearl provides 24-hour care in a wide variety of specialties, including, but not limited to: internal medicine, critical care, dentistry and oral surgery, neurology/neurosurgery, oncology, ophthalmology and surgery. For information on the Blaine hospital, click here. For information on Eden Prairie location, click here.
- University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center—The veterinary medical center at the University of Minnesota provides an extensive range of referral services. For more information, click here.
- Animal Eye Specialty Center—Dr. Robert Larocca provides veterinary ophthalmology services in Blaine, MN.